Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Tartan Table: Olde Scottish Food


A stumbled into a notable 'hole in the wall' restaurant in Central Florida, about 47 miles from Tampa named The Tartan Table and dining here was intimate and flavorful. I sampled a Scottish Meat Pie made from Angus Beef which was served with mash (potatoes), chips (or fries) and a freshly baked dinner roll by the cook who also owned the place. Turns out, the cook is a native of Edinburgh, she was in the restaurant business there and is a transplant to Spring Hill, Fl. I was much obliged that the pie crust she used for my meat pie was the puff pastry-type, that buttery flair to it I remember distinctly and the chips (which we do not have much expectations from) were crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.

The ambiance and decor was of course Scottish and each table was clothed with different Tartan patterns that represented a few clans from Scotland; I dined at the “Taylor” clan table, as it were. 

My waiter was a personable young man who was very well versed with the menu, theme and the nuance of the place. It was a special touch that the chef/owner herself came to meet me at the table and chatted a bit. It’s gestures like that which make dining special. I just relished in the pleasant experience I had here and if I ever go back to the area, I will want to visit it again.  

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment